Legal Services Board of Nunavut
The Legal Services Board of Nunavut is comprised of a seven-member Board of Directors, appointed by the Territorial Minister of Justice and representing various stakeholders.
We are responsible for providing legal aid services to Nunavut and it’s mandate, via the legal Service Act, to:
- To ensure the provision of legal services to all eligible persons;
- To ensure that the legal services provided and the various systems for providing those services are the best that circumstances permit; and
- To develop and co-ordinate territorial or local programs aimed at reducing and preventing the occurrence of legal problems,
- Increasing knowledge of the law, legal processes and the administration of justice, and
- Providing public education and outreach with respect to human rights.
The Board membership is made up of:
- 1 Representative from the Law Society of Nunavut,
- 1 Representative from the GN Department of Justice,
- 1 Representative from each of the Qikiqtani, Kivalliq and Kitikmeot regions;
- 2 members at large.